Saturday, April 16, 2011

mum's hearty winter soup

My mum made me this soup recently - it's a rich, flavoursome, hearty winter dish. I've always loved my mum's soups and I'm chuffed to share this one with you. It might not be the prettiest thing, but it's oh so delish.

What you need;

1 onion finely chopped
1 cup of pumpkin diced
1 small sweet potato diced
2 sticks of celery chopped
1 white potato diced
½ cup of green split peas
½ cup of green lentils
½ cup of red lentils
250g tin of 4 bean mix
4 tbsp pearl barley
1 vegetable stock cube





Method;

1) Put the split peas, lentils and barley in a bowl of water and leave to soak while preparing the vegetables

2) Light fry onion and celery in a little olive oil. When onion has browned, add 1 ½ litres of hot water and a vegetable cube

3) When water is boiling, add all the vegetables and the lentils and barley. Simmer for 1 ¼ hours. Give it a stir every now and then and add more water if needed.

4) Finally, add the drained 4 bean mix and simmer for a further 15 minutes

I haven't had a chance to make it myself yet but mum assures me it will turn out just like hers if I follow the recipe.

Thanks mum xx

No comments:

Post a Comment